Thursday 30 June 2016

Day 11 – Monday 27 June 2016 – Yulara

They do say it gets cold overnight in the outback but OH MY GOD!!!!!!   Last night was the coldest I have EVER been in my life.  Throughout the night I threw on additional items of clothing in an effort to not die of hypothermia but I’m still not sure I truly achieved that aim.  It was painfully cold.  We certainly missed those electric blankets with no power.

Shane headed out very early to get some shots of Uluru at sunrise while I continued to try to not freeze to death in bed.  Although I found myself drawn to the window seeing the strong light coming through the vents.  This was the view from my door this morning!


After breakfast we both headed out to visit Uluru.  Nothing really prepares you for the impact of meeting this beast.  I think I always thought of Uluru as a giant sand dune or something but seeing it up close and personal gives you a combination of immense respect and awe of its size and beauty.







We continued on to the Olgas which while also an amazing site, I was a little curious as to why you can only view the Olgas from one side, unlike Uluru which you can drive right around.


In between the two great landmarks there is also a sign indicating a road to the Western Australian border which is only a couple of hundred kms away.  Although it was tempting for a moment or two to contemplate a trip down that way just to say we had been through all the mainland states on our trip – one look at the start of the road changed our minds quite quickly.

We headed back to the van to organise things for our departure tomorrow before Shane headed out for some more shots of Uluru at sunset.  Shortly before his return it became clear that our battery power had reached its limit and our power was failing.  We plugged our freezer into the car and limped through the night with lighting.


No comments:

Post a Comment