Wednesday 6 July 2016

Day 15 - Friday 1 July - Alice Springs

Up at 6.00am this morning and it was absolutely freezing cold.  We’ve been driving across to the shower block which isn’t really THAT far away (maybe 350m - 400m), but it was dark, cold and the grass was wet – that’s my excuse anyway.  The frost on the windscreen took a while to clear before I could drive and I couldn’t help but hear that echo in my head (go north – its warm!).

Poor Kitty got another quick go under the dryer to bring her coat up nicely although I think we both enjoyed the heat so no-one was complaining.  Today we showed at two shows and Kitty was Best of Breed at both although sadly with no opposition.  Still with my knee and her issues over the past couple of years with her ear problems and a bacterial infection, we graciously accepted those 12 points which put her within 9 points of being an Australian Champion.  She is such a lovely girl – showdog wise – and I have always regretted not getting her championship title finished.  But between the two of us and our health issues (most particularly for me a knee that refuses to allow me to run as well as I would like) combined with all of Shane’s hospital visits – it isn’t surprising that poor Kitty hasn’t been to a show in around 2 years.  But like the trooper she is – she showed well and enjoyed the day at the shows.  I also took the opportunity to take a few photos of a friend’s dogs.

It was the knee that also prevented me from going for a walk to check out the Alice Springs Show.  The show is very big and pulled a huge crowd.  I have to say the grounds are also in immaculate condition - certainly puts Colac's showgrounds to shame and probably a good deal more showgrounds around Victoria.  Despite being right in the centre of Australia the grass was absolutely beautiful, even and green.  Lots of shade around all the different areas.  An absolute credit to those who do the work to make sure it is in such great condition.

Friday 1 July was Territory Day and the night was filled with fireworks.  And I mean FILLED!  Of course in the NT it isn’t illegal to buy fireworks so once the “official” display was over it was like a feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys with groups of fireworks being deployed from various parts of Alice Springs well into the night.  The dogs weren’t thrilled with the noise but coped.  Meanwhile Shane and I managed to snap a few photos.  

I guess really – this was the best view from my door today!














No comments:

Post a Comment