Thursday 28 July 2016

Day 41 – Wednesday 27 July 2016 – Katherine

Shane was off early today to take in the morning tour of Katherine Gorge.  

I spent a lovely relaxing morning with the dogs, did a bit of washing, cleaned up and got some more crochet done.  It was quite windy today but still very warm.  Some time after lunch I was sitting doing some crochet while the dogs were lazily snoozing just outside the door when in through the door floated a beautiful black butterfly with bright gold and rust coloured markings.  He came to rest within arms reach on my phone and his wingspan was longer than the phone.  He turned to face me and then took flight again out the door.  I was so mesmerised by his presence that I didn't even think to reach for the camera and if I had been at all withit, I should have closed the door to study him for a few moments - but alas no.  No photos, just the lovely memory of his visit.  Interactions with wildlife like that have always felt special to me.  

On Shane's return I got to hear all about the gorge and saw some of his lovely photos and I'm looking forward to seeing it all in person tomorrow.  However on arrival he gave me a hug and started talking about what he'd seen.  He hesitated and said "What do you have all over your t-shirt".  Sure enough there were big brown stains on the front and apparently a patch on the back as well.  After a little investigation it would seem that someone who shall remain nameless had eaten a chocolate coated ice-cream and then come home with chocolate on their shirt and hand, and in the course of giving their "wife" a hug had transferred it from their own shirt to hers.  But we won't talk about that.........

A couple of calls home to chat with those poor souls living in sub-arctic temperatures provided a few amusing moments.  I can't help but think if we had spent this winter there both of us would be suffering the effects for sure.

What is it that they say about doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome?????  So foolishly we decided to give the whole dog walking thing a go for the second time - this time though with torches.  Sadly once again poor Kitty returned full of leaves and twigs and while trying to brush it all out upon the bonnet of the car to try to save my back to pain of a repeat of last night's effort I almost choked on the amount of dust that was flying out of her hair.  So much for being clean!  No more walks Miss Kitty - at least until we find a more suitable surface.

Oops.... and not one photo to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment